Chapter 8.22 of the Municipal Code sets forth the regulations governing the abatement of nuisances in our community. The Community Development Department is responsible for investigating nuisance complaints and works with property owners and other responsible parties to abate the nuisance in a timely manner.
The Municipal Code defines a Nuisance as:
Anything which is injurious to health, including, but not limited to, the illegal sale of controlled substances, or is indecent or offensive to the senses, or an obstruction to the free use of property, so as to interfere with the comfortable enjoyment of life or property, or unlawfully obstructs the free passage or use, in the customary manner, of any navigable lake, or river, bay, stream, canal, or basin, or any public park, square, street, or highway, is a nuisance.
A nuisance shall also mean:
- Any public nuisance known under common law or equity; or
- Any attractive nuisance which may prove dangerous or detrimental to any person; or
- Any condition that is dangerous to human life, unsafe, or detrimental to the public health or safety, including the accumulation of trash or junk and the existence of dangerous buildings as defined under the Uniform Building Code for the abatement of dangerous buildings.
The City of Lakeport code enforcement program is intended to ensure compliance with the City’s laws and regulations for land use, zoning, building, housing, and environmental health. The Community Development Department places a high priority on code enforcement as a means of accomplishing adopted community goals, such as maintaining the quality of neighborhoods, avoiding nuisances, and protecting the environment. The code enforcement program is not intended to be selective or discriminatory against any one individual, group, area, or business. Alleged code violations are investigated by City staff as they are reported or discovered, and steps are taken to resolve confirmed violations prior to initiation of abatement procedures. The Community Development Department has not been notified of all code violations that currently exist in the City.
Voluntary compliance to correct code violations is the primary objective of the City’s code enforcement program. To this end, the Community Development Department staff is interested in finding solutions to code enforcement problems through meetings or correspondence with the property owner and/or tenant. Code enforcement actions involving abatement hearings and assessment of penalties are taken by the City as a secondary approach when attempts to gain compliance through voluntary efforts by the property owner and/or tenant are unsuccessful.
If you believe there is a nuisance in your neighborhood that warrants a response from the City of Lakeport, please contact our office.
Complaints may be filed with the Community Development Department in person, by mail, telephone, or e-mail.
When making a report, please provide the following information:
- The specific address or location where the nuisance is located
- Description of the nuisance
- Your name, address and phone number. Anonymous complaints will be investigated, but please provide your name and contact information if you would like to be advised of the findings of the investigation.
City of Lakeport
Community Development Department
225 Park Street
Lakeport, CA 95453
Tel: 707.263.5613 x20
Kevin Ingram, Community Development Director